SO on Sunday after Christmas Ricky went with his basketball team on a little tournament vacation! Or that is what I like to call it! I however decided to stay at home with Chloe and just hang out...Yeah RIGHT! It was the hardest and longest 4 1/2 days of my life. I could never hack it as a single parent...or then again maybe my wonderful husband has spoiled me beyond belief.
Ricky and I have always worked as a team. We knew that having a child wouldn't' be easy or fun all the time and we would have to work together. The great thing about Ricky is that he is something super wonderful with Chloe and does whatever I need him to do with her.
So here is how my single parent days went.....
I had to be really prepared for events like running our of diapers, having bottles ready, and trying to go to the mall or walmart.
I guess I need to explain here a little....okay so Ricky and I work as a team...if Chloe wakes up during the night (which due to teething has been more frequent than usual) one of us always gets her and changes her diaper while the other fixes a bottle. In the morning when she gets up at 8am one of us gets to sleep in while the other one gets up and plays with her, fixes breakfast and then lays her down for a morning nap around 10am, which is when the other person is just getting up and then we switch out during the day.
If I have to go to the store Ricky always will watch her while I am out. When we bathe her we take turns..one of us will wash her and then the other person gets her ready for bed..you get the picture we work together and split things up. Okay perfect right! well not when your used to it and then have to try it by yourself for a couple of days.
Being here by myself was the hardest thing I have every done....harder than physically birthing the child! It was hard. Single parents deserve way more credit!!!!
The first night she was up every hour, very fussy, I had to let her scream in her crib for 7 min. while I fixed her a bottle. After the first night I perfected my technique and had bottles already made for the next night! At 6am I finally fell asleep and so did Chloe only for her to wake up rested and ready to play at 8:30am. We played for a bit and then got ready for our day of taking down Christmas decor. That plan didn't go so well because she wanted me to hold her all day.. Scratch those plans.
2nd night was better, especially since I had ready made bottle...smart thinking!
The next day Chloe was still clingy, but we went on our play date and had fun. I don't know how single parents haul a purse, diaper bag, etc by themselves...
Oh I forgot to mention Chloe's meltdown right when I was in the shower.
The 3rd day/night was better but I still had my moments when I didn't have enough hands to hold th paci, diaper, and toy all at the same time. Or to load her and the groceries.
By day 4 I was pooped! and had to call in back up...Granny Debbie came and gave me a much needed break! I know a wimp, but I needed a nap and some quite time....yay for grandmothers
The days went by slowly and the nights even slower, but somehow I managed to do it on my own (Minus one 2 hour granny break). I think it made me stronger but boy was I tired and never soooooo glad to see Ricky return home!
I am so blessed to have him as my husband, my partner, my equal!
No comments:
Post a Comment