The Conner's Est. 2003

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Blood Pressure and Stress

Being pregnant is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life..and trust me I have done some hard things. Pregnancy is a challenge everyday. In the beginning I was so sick I couldn't leave the house, that lasted for 16 miserable weeks, then I was in an auto accident which sent me to the hospital twice, I apparently have a rare blood type AB- so they had to monitor me for bleeding and give me my Rhogam shot early, I failed my glucose screening the first time and had to be subjected to the 3 hour one (I passed), and now my blood pressure is getting out of control.

Everyday I worry about what I eat, how much weight I gain, if I am hurting the baby, etc So I guess this is why I feel being pregnant is hard.

I went for my regular doctors visit on Jan. 28th, when I arrived they did the usual urine screen, weight and bp. The nurse didn't tell me what my bp was even when I asked so I knew something was up. When I saw the Dr. I showed him my feet which were fine earlier that morning but by the time I got to the dr. that afternoon they were about 10 sizes bigger. He then told me my bp was 142/90 (which is very bad!!!), I rested for about 45 min. and the nurse re-took it and it was still high. So under doctors orders I had to come back on Monday 2/2 to be rechecked.

I went in Monday thinking my bp being high was just a fluke...Nope it wasn't! It was still high, this time even higher 145/100. So at this point I was freaking out. I then waited 45 min for a re-check which was a little better but still too high. This was raising some concern for the dr. so I was ordered to stop work, I begged for another week but was told NO, (I had planned on my last day being 2/27, but had actually decided to move it up to 2/13 without knowing I would have complications causing me to go earlier.) Anyways I had several test ordered and told to return on 2/4 for a non-stress test, urine/blood screen for protein, and an ultrasound.

After the doctors appointment Monday I called my good friend Sherry who told me everything would be fine. The sad thing is I should have been worried about my health and the babies but I was more worried about my job and leaving my precious students earlier than expected. (those who know me know I am anal and love my job and my students and can't seem to give up control of my classroom) after a long conversation with Sherry I felt better but still upset. I then called my Principal who is wonderful and said the same thing. I couldn't sleep at all that night. I guess I was worried about it all.

The next morning we were out for snow so that gave me a chance to tie up all my loose ends and relax. I actually felt better about leaving school since I got a chance to wrap up my lessons, etc. Then the worry set in for all my tests.

We were out on 2/4 for snow again and so was Ricky. It was nice having him there with me and helped me feel better about it all. I had to collect my urine for 24 hours, which by the way is gross but I had to do it. We arrived that morning turned in my urine gas tank, had 3 vials of blood taken and then hooked up to the NST machine. I basically set there for 30 min. and they monitored the babies heart rate and contractions. Every time Chloe moved I had to push this button. Luckily she moved a lot and her heart rate was great, so we passed that test with flying colors. I had several contractions but nothing regular, just braxton hicks. I then had my ultrasound which went great, she is measuring in the 65% at a weight of 6 pounds 7ounces so that she passed as well. Next was weight and bp again. To my surprise I actually lost 4 pounds which I was told was from all my swelling, and since I have been off my feet that is what helped. My bp was better but still high...no shock to me. So the only thing they are worried about it keeping it down and under control.


I feel much better knowing Chloe is okay...Ricky even had to fuss at me because I asked the doctor if I could go back to work since the baby looked good..!!! The doctor just laughed and said NO!! They are afraid to much activity will cause me to swell and bring my bp back up and cause preclampsia. I have gestational hypertension which leads to preclampsia so I will be on house arrest until Chloe arrives.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has had us in their prayers and thoughts.. Please continue to do so until Chloe arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment