I knew Chloe was a big baby, but I didn't know Piggie was her middle name. I have been saying for days that I thought Chloe has been gassy. So when we went for a 2 week check up I asked the doctor about it and he said he thought she was gassy, but what baby isn't and told me to give her mylicon drops before and after each feeding. I had kinda been doing that but not as much as I should have been. I also have been working towards a 3 hour schedule for feeding, awake time and napping. However, every ounces in a while Chloe would act like she was starving so I would feed her again, maybe at 1.5 hours or so.
Well, by Thursday of this week I knew she was really gassy because all she did was fuss all day and spit up. At first I thought maybe reflux? but wasn't for sure. So by 3:30 I was at my wits end with the fussiness and decided to call the doctor. I ended up taking her in that day and to my surprise the child went from 9lbs 7oz the week before to 10lbs 2 oz in just 7 days. According to the doctor she is to only gain and oz a day and she is gaining a little too much. Not a bad thing but this is the cause of all her gas and fussiness.
The doctor explained it like this. Chloe's stomach can only hold 4oz and since I have been blessed with an abundance of milk she is trying to eat like 6oz at each feeding. This in turn is making her belly hurt, which then triggers her to root around and act like she is hungry for more. The doctor said when their bellies hurt sucking and warm milk makes it feel better for the time, but only triggers more pain and gas later on. So the cure: stick to the 3 hour feedings! I was given a RX for a medicine that will relax her stomach, told to give her a mixture of 1oz apple juice to 3 oz of warm water, and glycerin suppository, and to make sure I get 3 good burps after each feeding. Also since my milk comes out in such large quantities I need to pump a little out before I nurse so she doesn't choke and swallow so much air.
Great I can handle this!!! Since I am not a huge fan of medication unless it is absolutely necessary I thought I would try to monitor her feedings more closely to the 3 hour schedule and burp her more often throughout the feedings before I gave her the RX and tried the other stuff. So far this has been working! I am really trying hard to stick to the 3 hour feedings and make sure I get those 3 good burps, for example I burp her after about 2/3 min of nursing, then after about 5 more min. of nursing and then at the end when she unlatches herself. We are still giving the mylicon drops at every other feeding. All of this seems to be working great!
Like I said the child is a little piggie and loves loves to eat! We have started a joke saying that whenever I walk into the room she smells the milk!!! LOL
Anyways we go back next Thursday, to make sure everything is going okay!
Well, by Thursday of this week I knew she was really gassy because all she did was fuss all day and spit up. At first I thought maybe reflux? but wasn't for sure. So by 3:30 I was at my wits end with the fussiness and decided to call the doctor. I ended up taking her in that day and to my surprise the child went from 9lbs 7oz the week before to 10lbs 2 oz in just 7 days. According to the doctor she is to only gain and oz a day and she is gaining a little too much. Not a bad thing but this is the cause of all her gas and fussiness.
The doctor explained it like this. Chloe's stomach can only hold 4oz and since I have been blessed with an abundance of milk she is trying to eat like 6oz at each feeding. This in turn is making her belly hurt, which then triggers her to root around and act like she is hungry for more. The doctor said when their bellies hurt sucking and warm milk makes it feel better for the time, but only triggers more pain and gas later on. So the cure: stick to the 3 hour feedings! I was given a RX for a medicine that will relax her stomach, told to give her a mixture of 1oz apple juice to 3 oz of warm water, and glycerin suppository, and to make sure I get 3 good burps after each feeding. Also since my milk comes out in such large quantities I need to pump a little out before I nurse so she doesn't choke and swallow so much air.
Great I can handle this!!! Since I am not a huge fan of medication unless it is absolutely necessary I thought I would try to monitor her feedings more closely to the 3 hour schedule and burp her more often throughout the feedings before I gave her the RX and tried the other stuff. So far this has been working! I am really trying hard to stick to the 3 hour feedings and make sure I get those 3 good burps, for example I burp her after about 2/3 min of nursing, then after about 5 more min. of nursing and then at the end when she unlatches herself. We are still giving the mylicon drops at every other feeding. All of this seems to be working great!
Like I said the child is a little piggie and loves loves to eat! We have started a joke saying that whenever I walk into the room she smells the milk!!! LOL
Anyways we go back next Thursday, to make sure everything is going okay!
No comments:
Post a Comment