The Conner's Est. 2003

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Doctor Appointments #1 and #2 AKA "Boobie Boot Camp!"

Since we were discharged from the hospital on a Saturday we had to wait to have our first doctors visit on Monday the 9th. When we were discharged everything was going great with breast feedings or so I thought. On Sunday night I'll just say that I went from a B bra size to a C+ almost D by Monday morning..it was scary. Since I was so engorged Chloe wouldn't latch on to nurse so I was freaking out to say the least. Ricky kept reassuring me that it would be okay because on Monday I would get to meet with the lactation nurse and she would help us. So I some how managed to calm myself down and was looking forward to our appointment.

By Monday morning I was a ball of tears...I hadn't slept, my boobs were huge and sore, and I had a very hungry and irritated baby, not to mention about 40 some stitches in a deep dark place that isn't much fun either. So being at the doctors at 8:30am was pushing it for me. I kept telling my self "It will be okay, Gloria the lactation consultant will be there!" Once we got to the office we had to check in and register Chloe. I told the receptionist that I needed to see Gloria ASAP...however to my shock I was told she was going home with the FLU and wouldn't be in the office until Thursday or Friday. All I can say is that at this point I FREAKED out...I started crying right there in the front of the doctors office. The girl at the front counter just looked at me and said "hold on" and she somehow by the grace of God called Gloria and I got to speak to her over the phone. She told me what to do about breast feeding and reassured me it would be okay and that she would meet with me later in the week. After drying my tears we met with the doctor for a routine check up. Chloe was born weighing 8lbs 14 oz, and was discharged weighing 8lbs 8oz, at the doctors she was only down 1 oz which was good considering the feeding issues.

We had to take her back on Wednesday for a weight check and I kept my fingers crossed Gloria would be back by then.

I will sum up the next three days in one short sentence...they were HELL! Chloe wouldn't latch on to nurse and I didn't know what to do so out of shear panic I decided to pump and bottle feed her. I had no other options and couldn't let her starve....

So on Wednesday we took her back to the doctor and got to meet with Gloria. To our surprise the child had gained 7 oz in 2 days...she was a hungry little piggy...Gloria worked with us on getting her to latch on with no luck. I was really feeling discouraged and didn't want to be a slave to the breast pump, but she has to eat...

So for the next couple of days I cried a lot and wasn't sure on how I was going to feed her..did I just want to give up and pump and bottle feed or suck it up and get her to nurse.

The week seemed never ending and I ended up pumping and bottle feeding her. By the following Monday I had had it with pumping and bottle feeding because it is twice the work so I made a phone call to Gloria. I explained what was going on and she said it was time for "Boobie Boot Camp!" Basically I was going to have to suck it up and work really hard to get Chloe to latch on despite her getting fussy and turning away. I didn't know if I could do it, but I am stubborn and like a good challenge. I told Ricky what the plan was and we set our minds to it.

It is now almost a week later and she hasn't had a bottle since. She is nursing great and I still do pump to store extra for when I go back to work. So far I am lucky because I have a great supply and about 100 oz stored in a week!!!!

Nursing is hard and I now see why so many people just give up. It is a challenge because you are the source of food for the child and it is all up to you! Scary.

2nd Dr. Appointment
Our 2 week doctors appointment went great. Since the nursing issue is almost gone we didn't have to meet with Gloria again...Chloe is up to 9lbs 7 oz so she has gained a pound. The doctor said she was doing great.
The only concern is her belly button hasn't healed all the way and we have to go back April 2nd to make sure it comes off! We are hoping it falls off on its own, very soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment