The Conner's Est. 2003

Monday, February 14, 2011

Beef its what for dinner!

So after my latest Oprah watching...I thought I would try to be a semi-vegan.  HA!  It really didn't go so great for me.  After watching an episode about where "our" food comes from in America, I was totally shocked when I viewed a slaughter house.  I wasn't completely ignorant about beef, chicken, etc I just chose not to think about where or how it went from a cow to a hamburger. I didn't know whether to cry or to vomit.  So long story short after my tv viewing, I decided to try to go vegan.  Well just for meat.  I bought vegan hotdogs and chicken patties both of which I liked.

I refused to eat beef for all of two weeks.  I tried soy beef like crumbles...of which both Ricky and Chloe spit out and refused to eat. I am still having a hard time eating beef, but it is every where and very convenient to fix hamburger meat.  I would like to try to be more picky on what kind of beef I consume such as only open range grass fed beef, but gesh at $9 a pound I don't know.  I did eventually go back to eating beef, but I must say it still kinda freaks me.    I guess as consumers we need to be more conscience about our food products.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Inside-a-Slaughterhouse-Video

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I visit your blog but never say hello...so this is me, saying "Hello!" I wasn't a teacher, but I was a school counselor until I took a few years off so whenever I read your posts I feel like I'm relating somehow not only as a mother but as an educator- I know, blah that sounded so lame. But really, I just love that you guys are teachers :) As far as the beef...I'm screwed. My husband loves to BBQ and I hate to cook. So meat it is. But I do throw yummy veggies on the grill.

    ReplyDelete